My friend Kristen posted today on Facebook about the things she will miss when she moves away from here. This has inspired me to do the same since I spend so much time complaining about things. So here it goes (and in no particular order):
- No litter on the streets
- Clean, manned public restrooms (its worth having to pay to use them!)
- Beautiful green rolling hills
- The sales tax being built into the prices of everything
- Not being rushed out of restaurants (the table is yours for the night)
- Our house. It’s a great house.
- Traveling around Europe. I’ve been to some amazing places.
- The genuine German cuisine
- Vented windows
- Adjustable height shower heads
- Huge bathrooms
- In floor heating
- Stone streets
- Pedestrian zones (walkplatz)
- Christmas markets
- Mandatory quiet hours at night
- Flowers in the window sills
- Beautifully kept yards
- the Danish furniture store
- Felix’s first teacher, Mrs. Mayfield
- Festivals and festival food
- Beer (this one is for Julls, I don’t like beer!)
I’m sure there’s more but that’s a pretty good start. I could probably make a list about the states about what I miss that’s far longer but the whole point here is to focus on what is positive about the experience here. I want to leave Germany with a fondness in my heart for the place and a want to return some day.
Something else I will remember fondly is the friends I have made here. The people who taught me things about myself and the world, who gave me a different perspective and who challenged me to be a better friend, mother and wife. Maybe we will even be in the same place again one day, but in the mean time, they will definitely be missed.